History

History of Monroe Elementary

The city and the Boise School District grew rapidly after World War II. The first "bench" in the southwest part of town saw the greatest number of new housing developments in the late 1940's and early 1950's, putting great stress on Jefferson and Whitney Schools. In 1954, Monroe was constructed, after Trustees decided against adding on to Jefferson School. Traffic patterns were such that the Monroe site better served the area. The school was constructed in 1953-54, and four additional classrooms were added in 1957. In 1969, a gym was added.

Monroe is one of the smallest of the schools built in the 50's.  Housing approximately 300 students.